Tuesday 21 February 2012

Esfahan in 6 Shots

'Esfahan nesf-e jahan', the old saying goes. Esfahan is half the world. Strolling around the city's central square it's difficult to argue with that. I sit down for a moment to take it all in. Then I open my guidebook and read: 'This central square (originally known as Naqsh-e Jahan or Pattern of the World) was first built as a garden (1602 AD) and is the largest enclosed square in the world (Tiananmen Square is larger but it is open)'. Tiananmen Square. It seems a world away, though I know I've already covered fifteen thousand kilometres of an estimated thirty thousand to Beijing.

The largest enclosed square at the centre of a journey to the largest open square; a city that is half the world; a square in that city that is the pattern of the world... My mind starts to spin like a globe. I look up and try to focus on the clear lines of the domes and porches that surround me. Minutes pass. When I'm sure no grand insights are about to materialise, I get up, take a few snapshots and give in to a more basic urge. It's time to check out the restaurants in this half of the world.

The sixteenth-century Ali Qapu Palace

The dome of Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque

Six o'clock: time for some tea and qalyan (water pipe)

Blue mosaics everywhere

Fun on the Zayandeh River

Bazaar bizarre

No comments:

Post a Comment