Monday 23 April 2012

The Interview

Taking the Punjab by storm
Cycling the world won't exactly send the press after you to turn your incredible story of courage and hardship into a three-column front-page article. If it's fame you're after, you might be better off walking. It was a pleasant surprise, therefore, when someone with a press pass around his neck practically threw himself in front of my bike the other day to shoot me a few questions. Well, two questions, really.

'What's your name?' he asked, duly writing down the answer. 'And what is your nationality?' That was it. 'Keep an eye out for tomorrow's edition of the Daily Express,' he said as he walked back to his car.

Next morning someone showed me the paper. The story hadn't exactly made it to the front page, but the journalist had done a splendid job of beefing up his material. I was reported as saying: 'Pakistan is a great country. Its people and its nature are absolutely stunning. I love Pakistan and Pakistan loves me.'

Now that's solid journalism for you. I wonder if he would be interested in doing a little ghost writing on the side...

No comments:

Post a Comment